Friday 20 July 2012

Day 5 - Eat, Sleep, Work, Repeat...

Another good sleep today, I'm sure it is related to the change in diet, because I never get this much sleep while on nights, even with a little pharmacological assistance! Also I'm feeling less stressed and my mind isn't going at 100 miles an hour like it usually is :)

Breakfast/Lunch today was a simple mushroom and turkey omelet with grilled tomato and asparagus.



2 whole eggs and 1 egg white
2 large button mushrooms sliced
50g sliced roast turkey breast
2 tomatoes cut in half
5-6 fresh asparagus spears
2tsp of coconut oil (1 for each pan)
Salt and pepper

Place 1tsp of coconut oil in a non-stick fry pan and cook the mushrooms until starting to brown. At the same time using a griddle pan, place remaining coconut oil, tomatoes (cut side down) and asparagus. Whisk eggs in a bowl and pour over mushrooms. Cook until egg is almost set then add the turkey breast roughly torn up to half of the omelet. Using a spatula gently loosen around the edges and underneath then flip in half over the turkey breast. Slide the omelet onto a plate and place tomatoes and asparagus either on top or to the side.

I decided today would be a much needed rest day from training as I was moving like an 80 year old woman! so nothing to report there. Definitely need to get into the physio next week.

Even though I have several coffee shops within a 150m walk from my place, I went out in Friday arvo traffic to elixir, that's how good it is!! That, and I'm so sick of trying coffee from other places, only for it to taste like muddy water and have to throw it out after the first sip. I headed to coles to grab some eggplants to make lasagna, but they didn't have any, so plan B was shepherd's pie and grabbed some sweet potatoes instead. I remembered while I was there that I had seen coconut water on special so I proceeded to clear the shelf of what they had left :)




Shepherd's Pie:
500g grass fed extra lean beef mince
3 large button mushrooms chopped
1 red onion diced
1 purple carrot chopped
1 orange carrot chopped
1 large red capsicum chopped
1 zucchini chopped
1tsp organic ghee
1 140g tin organic tomato paste
2 400g tins of diced tomatoes
100ml water
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1tsp thyme
1/4 tsp chili
1tsp rosemary
1tsp basil
2 sweet potatoes boiled and mashed
1tsp cinnamon
Salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven to around 160 degrees (fan forced) Melt ghee in a large pot and add garlic and onion. Cook until just starting to colour. Add the mince and cook through. When mince is cooked, add tomato paste and diced tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Next add all the veggies, the water and spices and stir through. Simmer the mixture covered for about 1/2 an hour (until the carrots are cooked). Wash and chop the sweet potato into chunks (peel if you'd prefer, but I left the skin on) and boil until soft. Drain and return to the pot, add the cinnamon and mash well. Spoon the meat mix into an oven proof dish and layer the sweet potato evenly on top. Place in the oven for 15-20 mins to crisp up the top.

I made an attempt at making almond butter today too. Had read a few recipes and it sounded pretty easy, 2 cups of almonds in the food processor and mix until it forms a paste. Well when they said it takes a while, they weren't joking! Was easily 20-25 mins of blend/scrape down sides of the bowl, blend/scrape down sides of bowl. Towards the end I was getting impatient and added a few teaspoons of olive oil to speed up the process. In the end it worked out well, not quite the same taste as the one you buy in the shops, but wondering if it could be because I used raw almonds rather than roasted... Next time I'll try roasted.



Well that's it for today, have a great Saturday!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog. I must try coconut water and the recipes are really great. Shepherds pie is definitely on the menu this week. Keep up the good work. :-)

    ReplyDelete