Thursday 19 July 2012

Day 4 - Fran Fail!!

After being awake for the better part of 26 hours, I was so ready for bed this morning!  Normally I would take a Restavit to help me sleep, but they probably aren't really whole 30 approved lol.  Surprisingly I managed to sleep from about 8am till 2:30pm :) Being on nights, my meals are out of whack, so breakfast/lunch was at 3pm and I didn't really feel like eggs, so I made up some apple and sweet potato fritters with strawberries, blueberries and passion fruit.  Very nice if I do say so myself!




Apple and Sweet Potato Fritters: Serves 1
1 apple grated (I used a pink lady)
1/2 a small purple sweet potato grated
1 egg
1/4 cup of almond meal
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp of cinnamon
1Tsp of coconut oil for cooking
5 or 6 strawberries cut in half
small handful of blueberries
1 passion fruit

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Melt the coconut oil in a fry pan and form the mixture into 2 patties (squeeze the mixture to get rid of some of the excess liquid). Place the patties in the fry pan and cook on both sides until nice and golden brown.  Place the cooked fritters on a plate and arrange the fruit over the top, done!

Headed to training for a arse kicking by Fran!  For anyone who does crossfit, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, but for those of you who don't, Fran is a workout of 21-15-9 reps of bar bell thrusters and pull ups in as fast as time possible.  There was a 10 minute cut off and I didn't make it.  Started out with the rxd (prescribed weight) of 30kg on the bar, but after 10 reps had to strip it back to 25kg.  Still using green band for pull ups which is really frustrating too.  Got 4 out of the 9 thrusters done, which is worse than the last time I did it back in April! I'm not sure if it's related to the change in diet or that maybe I've just gone  into it a little gung-ho this week....

For dinner I made "Burger Baskets" I used purple sweet potato for the fries tossed in some coconut oil and spread out evenly on a baking tray at about 160 in a fan forced oven. They seem to cook a lot faster than the orange variety and turned out quite crunchy.  Next time I will pull them out of the oven when they are just starting to brown.  They also aren't as sweet as the orange ones, so would actually probably use them instead.



Burger Baskets: (makes about 6 burgers)
500g of grass fed extra lean beef mince
1 purple carrot grated (optional)
1 red capsicum chopped finely
1/2 red onion chopped finely
1/2 cup of almond meal
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of basil
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of coconut oil for cooking

Toppings:
2 tablespoons of mashed avo
2 slices of tomato
5-6 baby spinach leaves
3 carrot curls (using a peeler just peel strips of carrot)

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowel and form into roughly palm sized patties.  Place in fry pan with melted coconut oil and cook for approx 5mins each side depending on the thickness of the pattie.  Place a cooked burger in the bottom of a bowl and top with the avo, spinach, tomato and carrot, then arrange sweet potato fries around the burger to form a nest. 
Saw this pic the other day and really liked it!



No comments:

Post a Comment