Friday 27 July 2012

Day 12 - Injury management phase 1

Thanks for posting this pic the other day Kathy B! It's really not that hard :)


Today's breaky was a quick boiled egg, some sliced turkey and a pear on the way out the door. Deffinitely not an ideal breakfast, but really not a fan of these cold mornings.  You'd never know I grew up in Victoria lol. Was a fairly constant morning at work, which I actually like, as it makes the time go quicker :) For morning tea I had some strawberries, blueberries, snow peas, with a green tea and water.  The strawberries at the moment are so good, and one of the patients families bought in a huge tray for the staff, so I ate probably the same amount again at lunch with some pumpkin, sweet potato and carrot soup and a green tea.



Headed to the physio straight after work and got some really good advice! He video taped my walking and gave me some exercises to help with my foot stability and balance, inflicted some serious pain through massage, triggering and needling, but it felt a lot better afterwards! More than likely my calf injury was a result of my right leg overcompensating for my left quad injury a few months ago that I didn't do anything about (that will teach me for ignoring things!) No running for a week :(


For dinner I made roast beetroot, sweet potato and grilled salmon salad with grape tomatoes, slivered almonds and a lemon dijon dressing. 




Roast beetroot, sweet potato and salmon salad: Serves 2
1 washed raw beetroot
1 small sweet potato
5 - 6 grape tomatoes halved
2 handfuls of mixed lettuce
2 table spoons of slivered almonds
1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper

Dressing:
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
2 tablespoons of basil infused extra virgin olive oil (or plain olive oil is fine)
1 table spoon of organic dijon mustard


To roast the beetroot all I did was wrap it in some foil, place it on a baking tray and cook for about 45 minutes at around 180 degrees (until you can pierce it with a skewer easily).  So easy, I'm never buying tinned beetroot again! Remove it from the oven, unwrap and let cool slightly so you can handle it.  When the beetroot had about 20 mins left to go that's when I added the sweet potato to the oven.  Just washed, sliced into circles than 1/4, brushed with a little oil of your choice and spread evenly on a baking tray, turning after 10-15 mins.  Once the beetroot has cooled, put on some plastic gloves to stop you hands from staining and remove the skin.  Then slice into 1cm thick circles and then into cubes.  All I did with the salmon was dress it with some salt and pepper and juice from half a lemon then grilled on both sides until cooked through.  While the salmon is cooking, divide the mixed salad leaves, grape tomatoes, beetroot and sweet potato evenly between 2 bowls, then flake the salmon over the top, sprinkle with slivered almonds  and a drizzle the salad dressing. 

Thought for the day:

Take the time to appreciate all that you have, as there is someone else out there with nothing struggling to survive!












No comments:

Post a Comment