Monday 16 July 2012

Day 1 - Game on!

First day of the whole 30 and considering my lack of sleep over the weekend, I'm feeling really good.  I am definitely not a morning person and even woke up before my alarm went off at 3:30am to head down to the box and watch the final day of The Crossfit Games including our very own champion, Kara Gordon.

I took some carrot sticks, grape tomatoes and strawberries to snack on before having a proper breaky when the games finished and added to these 6 brazil nuts and 2 black coffee's.  At about 9:30am we headed to elixir and I had 2 poached eggs, half an avo, tomato and mushies with no oil or butter and a sparkling water with lemon.



After breakfast I headed to Charlies fruit market to stock up on some supplies and when I got home made up a big batch of pumpkin/sweet potato/carrot soup (recipe at bottom of post) to freeze and use on days when I am pushed for time.



Next up was a wod before lunch which consisted of 10 C&J (35kg), 600m run, 21 pull ups (green band), 21 box jumps, 21 pike push ups, another 600m run and 1 last C&J, I had a banana about an hour before hand so I wasn't running on empty.  Lunch was a salmon salad (a handful of baby spinach, half an avo, 3 small mushrooms, a mini red capsicum, 6 kalamata olives, 100g of pink salmon in spring water and dressed with the juice of half a lemon)



At 5pm I headed back to Roar for the class and today's wod was 5-5-5-5-5 push press.  I'll have to go back through my records, but think I either did the same as or better than my previous 1 rep max :)  After the wod went and did the Annie workout and got my worst time ever, was a shaky start with double unders and they just weren't flowing at all.  The first 50 took forever! Post workout I had a boiled egg, a couple of pieces of roast sweet potato and some nuts.  Dinner was a Black Angus sirloin steak with roast veggies.


FYI, purple carrots are yum!


Pumpkin Soup:



1/2 butternut pumpkin
3 smallish sweet potatoes
4 large carrots
1 brown onion
2 cloves of garlic
1tsp nutmeg
1Tbsp Thyme
1tsp rosemary
Pinch of salt and pepper
1tsp coconut oil
1 can coconut milk

Heat oil in a large pot and cook onion and garlic until the onion becomes transparent.  Peel and chop pumpkin, sweet potato and carrots into large chunks. Place all ingredients in the pot except the coconut milk and fill with enough water to just cover everything.  Bring to the boil and simmer until all the veggies are soft when pierced with a fork.  Allow to cool slightly then blend until smooth using either a stick mixer or blender .  Once the mix is free of lumps add the coconut milk and stir well.  Finally, enjoy! (depending on your taste, you can play around with the spices or even add a little chili for some bite)

That's it for today, long day tomorrow, time for some sleep!




No comments:

Post a Comment